The Ferris Wheel arrived with the Squidport update, and can only be placed on the Boardwalk. It costs 120 donuts and unlocks once you’ve completed Squidport Pt. 6. But is it a good use of your donuts? The short answer is that it’s probably the best buy of all the new premium items. Read on to see why…
1. It’s only a 6-second build, giving a bit more life to your Boardwalk quite quickly.
2. It unlocks a new 10-hour task for Mr. Burns (although the task only unlocks if Smithers is free at the same time – he needs to come too), making it the only Boardwalk item that any of your characters interacts with on an ongoing basis. The task earns $525 and 135XP, more than his 12 hour task and almost as much as his 24-hour task.
3. While there’s no task for Smithers, and he’s just along for the ride, he earns the same amount as Burns – so you earn a total of $1050 and 270XP for this 10-hour task.
4. It earns you $260 and 26XP every 10 hours – not a large amount, but every little bit helps in building up the cash you need to expand your Squidport.
5. The extra earnings, and the extra task make it a far better buy than other similarly priced premium items (Mount Carlmore, I’m looking at you).
6. It contributes 10 points to your Consumerism rating.
7. It’s animated and turns all the time, whether Burns and Smithers are using it or not.
8. It helps Mr. Burns get in touch with his inner child… and helps Smithers get in touch with Mr. Burns.
And here are a few reasons why you may want to look elsewhere, or hold off buying it for a while:
1. It takes up squares, and if you’re in the early stages of building your Boardwalk, space is tight.
2. Like all the Squidport buildings, it can only be placed on the Boardwalk, limiting your placement options.
3. You can’t actually see Burns and Smithers use it. It acts like a building and they just disappear inside.
4. Apart from Burns and Smithers, no other characters use it.
Just for completeness, here’s what happens when you build the Ferris Wheel:
Smithers: Would you like to take a ride, sir?
Burns: I’d like to, but I lack sufficient body weight to keep from being gusted away at the top. Perhaps if you rode with me and held me.
Smithers: I… I… I… *thump
When Smithers regains consciousness (don’t worry, it’s right away), you can send them to the Squidport for a ride.